City of Port Phillip – Reserves Assets Data Capture and Condition Assessment
To collect detailed park asset information and condition data to assist Council in planning, asset management and maintenance and financial management purposes.
Reserves Assets Data Capture and Condition Assessment
BackgroundThe City of Port Phillip covers an area of approximately 21 Km2 with a population of approximately 87,000. Port Phillip is known for its cultural diversity, artistic community, magnificent heritage buildings, foreshore which stretches over 11 km, beautiful parks and gardens and tree lined streets.
ObjectiveTo collect detailed park asset information and condition data to assist Council in planning, asset management and maintenance and financial management purposes.
Scope of ServicesThis project requires the mapping and collection of detailed asset data for over 200 parks and reserves, approx. 600 road closures and traffic treatments, plus all community service facilities, natural heritage areas, foreshore, beach and natural dune areas.
AssetsThe following asset groups were included in the project:
- Art & Culture – Statue, Sculpture, Public Art, Plaque, Obelisk, Monument, Fountain, Flagpole
- Drainage – Drainage Pit, Channel, Culvert, Kerb & Channel, Open Drain
- Fence & Barriers – Fence, Gate, Bollard, Edging, TGSI, Guide Post
- General Assets – Electrical Control Box, Fire Hydrant, Flood Indicator, Convex Mirror
- Park Furniture – Seat, Picnic Setting, Bike Rack, Drinking Fountain, Barbecue, Litter Bin, Light
- Paving – Path, Paving
- Playground – Playground Equipment, Softfall, Sand Pit
- Signage – Sign, Sign Supports
- Sporting – Sports Ground, Netball Court, Tennis Court, Bowling Green, Cricket Wicket, Cricket Practice Net, Rebound Wall, Skate Park, BMX Track, Ticket Booth, Coaches Box, Time Keeper Box, Scoreboard, Sports Goal, Sports Net, Umpire Chair
- Structures – Retaining Wall, Feature Wall, Sea Wall, Stairway, Bridge, Boardwalk, Decking, Rotunda, Pergola, Shelter, Shade Sail, Spectator Stand
- Vegetation – Grass, Gardens, Mulch, Planter Box, Pot Plant, Dune Area, Revegetation Area
- Water & Irrigation – Sprinkler, Irrigation Control Box, Tap, Water Meter, Water Tank, Pump, Pondage, Back Flow Device
MethodologyAerial photography was used to plot all visible assets in the office. These assets were then verified in the field. Other assets were located to sub metre accuracy using DGPS and existing data layers.
All assets were assessed for condition and fully attributed in the field. Most assets were photographed or linked to a generic photo.
StatisticsAssets were captured as points, polylines and polygons, depending on the asset type. Approximately 29,000 assets were located and attributed.
DeliverablesThe project deliverables included:
- Asset data in ESRI Shapefile format in the projection/datum GDA 94/MGA94 Zone 55
- Asset data in Excel format for importing into Council’s asset management system
- Asset images including generic asset photos, unique asset photos, custom sign photos and standard sign images
- ANZLIC compliant metadata
- Summary of asset numbers
We have an extensive list of case studies and client testimonials available