Queensland Rail – SE Queensland Railway Station Infrastructure Data Capture & Condition Assessment
To collect detailed railway infrastructure asset information and condition assessment for asset management purposes.
SE Queensland Railway Station Infrastructure Data Capture & Condition Assessment
BackgroundAs part of the TSC3 funding development project, RapidMap were contracted to work with AssetFuture to map, attribute and condition assess infrastructure assets at over 140 railway stations in S.E. Queensland. RapidMap were responsible for mapping and condition assessment of external assets on platforms, access ramps, walkways and car parks.
ObjectiveTo collect detailed railway infrastructure asset information and condition assessment for asset management purposes.
Scope of ServicesThis project requires the mapping, attribute data collection and condition assessment of assets on:
- Stations platforms and car parks
- Depot and miscellaneous workshops and buildings sites
- Other nominated corridor assets
RapidMap also assisted AssetFuture in the building and facilities condition assessments, by providing mapping of buildings outlines and structures incl. shade structures, walkway over/under pass and ramps.
AssetsThe following asset groups were included in this project:
- Platform – line marking, tactiles, edge coping, seating, lighting, signage, stencils, ramps, bins, bollards, exit barriers, taps, water coolers, fencing/gates, pit lids, ticketing equipment
- Car park – car park surfaces, walkway surfaces, speed bumps, wheel stops, bollards, help phone, landscaping and gardens, fencing/gates, lighting, CCTV, kerb and guttering, car park and bike bays
- Structures – stairways, disabled ramps, under walkways, fencing/gates
- Depot and property – roadway surfaces, walkway surfaces, speed bumps, wheel stops, bollards, help phone, landscaping and gardens, fencing/gates, lighting, CCTV, kerb and guttering, car park and bike bays, fencing/gates
- Corridor assets – noise barriers, fences and gates
MethodologyAerial photography was used to plot and identify the location of assets in the office.
- Platform assets including edge copings were plotted as polyline features
- Platform structures including roofline, ramp, footpath and over/underpass walkway were plotted as polygon features
- Car park assets including kerb gutter, car bays and line marking were plotted as polyline features
- Other car park assets were plotted as polygon features including gardens, footpath and shelters
Assets were verified in the field by performing physical inspections on site using custom GIS field software, AssetMap on rugged tablet computers.
All assets were assessed for condition and fully attributed in the field, excepting structures which only required GPS location and photographs to be captured.
Digital photos of platform and car park surface condition were taken in the field.
DeliverablesThe project deliverables included:
- Asset location, quantity and condition data in GIS format for importing into the AMS
- Photographs of nominated platform and car park assets
- Photographs and reporting of significant defects that could expose risk to the public and QR employee
We have an extensive list of case studies and Client Testimonials.